Welcome to our Journal

My photo
Welcome to Teen Mothership Journal! Here you will find community resources for single mothers as well as inspiring stories by current and former teen moms like myself.You will gain insite on the many challanges faced on a daily by young parents.This blog is to inspire and uplift young ladies struggling with being a young parent and to also encourage girls to WAIT. I pray that this blog brings awareness,encouragement and give hope to the hopeless. You are not alone.

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Growing up in St.Stephen

Growing up in a small community has definitely been a challenge. I was born in raised in St. Stephens, South Carolina; roughly an hour away from what is known as the "holy city" Charleston. St. Stephens is not your typical suburbs, in fact in the early 90s we had two grocery stores and one stop light and still do to this very day minus a grocery store. Although its a small town the unity and love in the community helped our youth stay on track. Everyone basically new each other rather it was by mutual encounters. As time progress I began to become more aware of  my surroundings. At the age of 11 I began Jr. High at St.Stephen Middle School, then is when I had the opportunity to meet more people who shared similar values as I. I started to notice what was keeping us connected to one another, but we were divers in many ways. Most of my friends and pairs grew up in a two parent home. I often found myself feeling left out or cheated. I really didn't understand why I didn't have both parents, My grandparents raised me and although my grandfather suffered with alcoholism he was still the only father I new. In my house hold my grandmother Mary Green was the bread winner and back bone, she was employed by and family own business called Nit Wear located in St.Stephen
and sewed  prom dresses and other  clothing for extra funds. It  was obvious that money was very tight. With that being said, because of this I didn't have the most popular gear like most of my pairs. My granny did what was needed to survive. After losing my grandfather in the mid-90s things was bitter sweet. With not many community out reach for the youth I began to see my pairs found other ways to express themselves. Many of our youth faced a time of uncertainty, many were uncertain of how to look pass their circumstances in a town that hold limited possibilities.......TO BE CONTINUED :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Journal 2018 continues

.. I allowed circumstances to get the best of me. Things were finally falling in place. I was then to the point where my kids were older and...